Microsoft Azure is hyper-scale cloud with 54 regions offering 125+ cloud services. While designing a solution its difficult to choose which service should be provisioned since there are lots of services in the basket.
Here is the simple guideline/matrix with three examples based on those you can calculate how to choose the right service in Azure.
Example #1: Infrastructure services comparison with web app hosting options
Example #2: Storage selection for solution
Example #3: Monitoring service selection
Let's start with example#1
Below are 4 important questions you need to ask yourself about selection/running your application in Azure
Here is another way to look the control & responsibility
4.1 - Let's have Containers VS Virtual Machines (Comparison)
4.2 - Where to run background tasks?
4.3 - Where to run your application?
This example describes How to select right storage out from platter available in Azure. If you look below Azure is offering # of storage services.
Before the selection of storage service let's identify two (What's)
Following could be best available storage options for OLTP & OLAP
For Relational/Unstructured/Data Analytics split your requirements in the following categories
- Let's have the comparison on OLTP options
2. Let's have comparison on OLAP options
Azure is offering # of monitoring options as shown below.
Split available services in three categories
- Deep Application Monitoring
- Deep Infrastructure monitoring
- Core Monitoring
1. Deep Application Monitoring
Use Azure Application Insights for deep application monitoring like
- Detect and diagnose exceptions and application performance issues
- Monitor Azure websites, including those hosted in containers, plus websites on-premises and with other cloud providers
2. Deep Infrastructure Monitoring
For infrastructure monitoring use (Log analytic, Management Solutions, Network Monitoring & Service Map) will give you
- Quickly connect and collect log data from multiple source
- Correlate and analyze using powerful machine learning constructs
- Search and query interactively using an expressive language
3. Core Monitoring
Core monitoring provides fundamental, required monitoring across Azure resources.
Its all about your selection of services how to find balance in your solution